Bio-Cellular Treatment Overview
Regenerative medicine physicians at MRM are among only a few in the region to offer autologous bio-cellular treatments to relieve pain, promote functional improvement, and regenerate tissue for degenerative skin, soft tissue, and musculoskeletal conditions. Bio-cellular treatments at MRM involve the use of fat aspirate concentrate (FAC) and/or platelet-rich plasma (PRP), derived from the patient’s fat tissue or blood, respectively. FAC contains a regenerative cell population that includes mesenchymal stem cells (adipocyte-derived stem cells), progenitor cells, endothelial cells, macrophages, lymphocytes, and pericytes that collectively comprise part of the body’s natural healing and regenerative capabilities.
Adipocyte-derived stem cells contained within regenerative cell populations of FAC have the capacity to differentiate into mesenchymal tissues such as muscle, fat, cartilage, tendon, and bone. For these reasons, autologous (patient-derived) bio-cellular treatments at MRM focus exclusively on regeneration of tissues that are of mesenchymal origin (mesodermal), which also includes the urogenital system. There are no bio-cellular treatments at MRM that are administered intravenously, within the spine, or within the central nervous system (CNS).
FAC, with or without PRP, is currently being used at MRM to treat the following degenerative musculoskeletal, skin, and soft tissue conditions:
- Osteoarthritis (also known as degenerative joint disease or DJD)
- Chronic tendinitis (tendon inflammation or degeneration)
- Avascular necrosis of bone or a non-healing fracture
- Partially torn tendon
- Partially torn ligament or significant sprain
- Painful orthopedic conditions
- Shoulder labrum tear, degenerative rotator cuff, or frozen shoulder
- Painful meniscus tear involving the knee
- Degenerative skin conditions involving the face or body, scars, or areas with skin dimpling or fat loss (depressed acne scars)
- Male erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Peyronie’s Disease (PD)
- A desire for penile girth enhancement with the ManShot (autologous fat grafting or fat transfer)
During collection of FAC, surgeons use manual liposuction techniques with local anesthesia to painlessly harvest fat aspirate from the patient. Fat aspirate is further concentrated using centrifugation techniques into FAC, which contains a vast array of regenerative cell populations. FAC is a bio-cellular agent that is responsible for natural regeneration and rebuilding of injured or degenerative tissues within the body. Once isolated and concentrated, FAC, with or without PRP, is injected into the patient’s damaged skin or soft tissue or musculoskeletal tissue using real-time imaging such as fluoroscopy or ultrasonography when clinically indicated to ensure precision placement.
Because FAC and PRP treatments at MRM uses the patient’s own regenerative cells derived from fat or blood, there is no chance of tissue rejection or allergic reaction.