Biocellular Treatment Overview
Regenerative medicine physicians at Minnesota Regenerative Medicine are among only a few in the region to offer autologous biocellular treatments to relieve pain, promote functional improvement, and regenerate tissue for degenerative skin, soft tissue, and musculoskeletal conditions. Biocellular treatments at Minnesota Regenerative Medicine involve the use of bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) or fat aspirate concentrate (FAC) or platelet-rich plasma (PRP), or a combination of these, derived from the patient’s bone marrow or fat tissue or whole blood, respectively. Unlike PRP, BMAC and FAC each contain a population of regenerative cells including mesenchymal stem cells, stromal cells, progenitor cells, endothelial cells, macrophages, lymphocytes, and pericytes that collectively comprise part of the body’s natural healing and regenerative capabilities.
Mesenchymal stem cells contained within regenerative cell popluations of BMAC and FAC have the capacity to differentiate into mesenchymal tissues such as muscle, fat, cartilage, tendon, and bone. For these reasons, autologous (patient-derived) biocellular treatments at MRM focus exclusively on regeneration of tissues that are of mesenchymal origin (mesodermal), which also includes the urogenital system. Biocellular treatments at MRM ARE NOT administered intravenously or within the spine or central nervous system (CNS).
BMAC, FAC, and PRP, or a combination of these, is currently being used at MRM to treat the following degenerative musculoskeletal, skin, and soft tissue conditions:
- Osteoarthritis (also known as degenerative joint disease or DJD)
- Chronic tendinitis or tendinosis (tendon inflammation or degeneration)
- Painful conditions involving an avascular necrosis of bone or a non-healing fracture
- Partially torn tendon
- Partially torn ligament or significant sprain
- Shoulder labrum tear, painful rotator cuff, or frozen shoulder
- Painful knee meniscus injury
- Degenerative skin condition involving aging skin, a chronic wound, a scar, the scalp with hair loss or thinning or balding, or a skin area with subcutaneous dimpling or fat loss
- Male Erectile dysfunction (erection problems)
- Abnormal penis curvature or shortening
- Painful erections or painful intercourse
- Penile conditions with girth or length decrease
- Peyronie’s disease
During collection of BMAC or FAC, surgeons use bone marrow harvesting or tumescent liposuction to harvest bone marrow aspirate or fat aspirate, respectively, from the patient. Both bone marrow aspirate and fat tissue aspirate are further concentrated using centrifugation techniques into BMAC or FAC which contains a vast array of regenerative cell populations. These biocellular agents are responsible for naturally regenerating and rebuilding injured or degenerative tissues within the body. Once isolated and concentrated, these regenerative cells are injected into the patient’s damaged skin or soft tissue or musculoskeletal tissue using real-time imaging such as fluoroscopy and ultrasonography when clinically indicated to ensure proper placement.
Because BMAC, FAC, and PRP treatments at MRM uses the patient’s own regenerative cells derived from bone marrow or fat or whole blood, there is no chance of tissue rejection or allergic reaction.